Search the Prema website:
Prema is a family friendly Arts Centre, promoting performance, live music and art exhibitions as well as accessible workshops, classes and creative experiences for kids and adults.
Prema, near Dursley in the Stroud valleys, offers an affordable day out for all folk in the South West.
Prema Pen to paper
A creative writing competition for 2021
Oh my stars! We’re super-stoked to announce the hotly-anticipated return of the Prema’s Short Story writing competition. And this time there’s some fresh new categories to encourage original ideas from brilliant young writers. We really, really, really want to hear a diversity of voices and read a broad range of writing styles and inventive imaginations.
2020 and the pandemic kinda scuppered our plans for year two of our competition and so this year we're really broadening out the sections and adding a challenge or two along the way.
We know that for some writers it's hard to know where to start and that sometimes initially putting pen to paper can be the biggest hurdle. With that in mind, we've invented three nonsensical sentences to fire up your imagination. For those who are never short of of a good story, we figured you might like to try to accommodate one of these non-sequiturs within your story as a bit of an additional cheeky challenge. But remember, it's not a condition - it's just a bit of fun which you're welcome to totally ignore!
What are these ridiculous sentences, we hear you cry ... They're:
“Don’t tell me, tell her”
“You can’t do that on a Wednesday”
“Paperclips will fix it”
Whether you use one of our prompts or already have a plethora of stories and sonnets circling in your mind, we really hope you'll feel inspired to put pen to paper and submit a story to our competition.
Wishing you the very best of luck and the most imaginative of minds. We can't wait to read your words.
Anyhoo, here's the deets and the small stuff (not for sweating) about Prema Pen to Paper - our Creative Wiriting Competition for 2021.
500 words (excluding title)
- Short Story for adults (18 years and over)
- Short Story for young people (12-17 years)
- Young Writers’ Short Story (7-11 years)
- Creative Poetry (all ages)
Deadline for Entry
Friday 24th September at 5pm
Cost Per Entry
- £10 per submission for writers over 18 years
- £5 per submission for writers under 18 years
How to submit
- Send a typed copy of your story in an envelope to: Prema Arts Centre, Bethesda Chapel, South Street, Uley, Gloucestershire, GL11 5SS.
- We will only accept submissions received via the post or dropped into our arts centre in person. E-mailed submissions will not be considered.
- You will need to print out an entry form for each submission (up to a maximum of 4 entries per person). On this attachment you will enter your name and contact details but this form will be separated from your story to ensure that all submissions are anonymised before shortlisting and viewing by our panel of judges.
- On the top of your submission please write only the title of your story. Please be sure not to put your name on the printed page(s) of your story.
- Enclose your entry fee as a ten pound note (or a fiver in the case of younger writers) in the envelope. Kindly note that the entry fee is per submission (therefore 3 submissions would be 3 x £10 = £30)
- Submissions must be received by Friday 8th October 2021 at 17.00 hrs.
- Late submissions will not be considered.
Terms and Conditions
The story should be:
- fictional & original prose which has not been published or won a competition before.
- written within the last 12 months.
- written in English and typed.
- 500 words maximum.
- you may submit a maximum of 4 stories; the entry fee of £10 is per story submitted (four stories = £40).
- entry fee must be enclosed with each submission.
- please ensure your story is sensitive to equality and diversity and will not cause offence.
Reading Evening and Prize Giving
The reading evening will take place on Saturday 4th December 2021.
A free ticket will be offered to each writer who submitted a story to our competition. A charge of £5 will be made for friends, family and short story lovers (book via the Prema Website). Come along and celebrate the written word!
- Everyone who enters is offered a free ticket to the reading evening (Saturday 4th December 2021) to mingle with other writers and enjoy the stories.
- The winning adult writer will receive an original illustration of a moment in your story/poem by an amazing UK artist.
- The winning story from a young person (12-17yrs category) will receive an original illustration of a moment within your piece of writing from a brilliant UK artist.
- The winning young writer (7-11 category) will receive an original piece of 3D relating to their piece of writing. The sculpture will reflect a scene or maybe one of the characters depicted within your story and will be made by a truly awesome UK artist.
- The two runners-up across the two adult writers’ categories (short story and poetry) will receive £50 of Prema gift vouchers to offset the cost of courses or ticketed events at the arts centre (this does not cover Vestry Café)
To download the entry/submission form (you'll need one completed form per submitted piece of writing for our competition) click here